Tuesday, January 16, 2018

To my Karass, courtesy of Kurt Vonnegut: Writer and Philosopher

Several years ago I got way into Kurt Vonnegut. His writing style is original and in his humanity he often turns up terrific insights.

And listen to this: he invented a great word!

This word is karass

In Cat's Cradle, Vonnegut defines a karass thusly: 


“If you find your life tangled up with somebody else’s life for no very logical reasons,” writes Bokonon, “that person may be a member of your karass.”

 

His books are all easy reads. They have the appearance of being written on the first try, with no revision. In truth, Kurt probably crafted them painstakingly, editing and rewriting for hours and days and weeks. You can (and should) read Cat's Cradle at the link above.

I am part of many a karass. I am blessed with more friends than I deserve, thanks mostly to the military and the frequent personnel turnover that exposes one to many different people. You know who you are.

I'm also part of one duprass, which sincere but less imaginative people call soul mates

“Bokonon tells us, incidentally, that members of a duprass always die within a week of each other."


I appreciate you, friends, across the years and miles. I feel blessed to know you and I carry happy memories and lessons from each of you. Our lives are busy with families and jobs but you enrich me still. I pray for you and wish you health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment