Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Introduction: The Stupid Games I Play



"A fox knows many things, but a hedgehog one important thing."
- Archilochus, Greek poet, ca. 600s BC

In the past 18 months I have spent over 200 nights in hotels, flown over 50,000 miles, and driven another 30,000. I have also opened 12 credit cards in that time. Along the way I became like Rain Man the fox, who knows many little things. I want to share the things I've learned for anyone who can use them.

I'm in the Army. When it was time to move to my next duty station, I became what is known as a "Geographical bachelor": in a situation where my new assignment was far enough from home that I needed a place to stay during the week. It also gave me free time I didn't previously have. 

I wasted 75% of that newfound free time by working late and watching (mostly dumb) TV shows and movies. However, I did begin what I initially thought of as a "stupid hobby." I started playing various games:

- The Credit Card Game
- The Status Game

In all cases, those "stupid games" turned out to be second jobs, in that I put time into them and they returned useful, valuable financial rewards. I own two rental houses, and similarly, I think of the time I spend on those rentals as a second job: for hours of work, I receive dollars per month in rental income. 

What if I told you that you had a valuable asset that you aren't using to its fullest extent? Something that should be getting you useful and tangible financial returns and a more comfortable life with very little effort? 

It's your credit score.

My circle of friends consists mostly of current or former Army officers. They pay their bills, they're responsible with debt, and they have very high credit scores. They're also wasting incredible opportunities their credit score provides. If they have a credit card, they have one basic card from a certain auto insurance company-slash-bank which we all use but provides some services better than others.

The Credit Card Game makes the other games possible. If you're a responsible individual with good credit and no drug habit, you should have at least a few credit cards. Even if you don't travel much for work, you could get a free vacation every year. I'm talking flights, rental car, and hotels. And if you play the Lounge Game and the Status Game, you'll get free meals in airports away from the masses, free breakfast, and a nicer room with a two-pound bag of cocaine sitting on the bathroom sink. 
Kidding! I already told you that "no drug habit" was a prerequisite. No free cocaine for you. You can get two free water bottles, though, and those are way better for you.

Most of us like to hustle. We use our talents and skills to get ahead. We invest our assets so they'll grow. Your good credit is an asset. Use it.

There are downsides and ways to mess up, so be aware of them before you start playing the game. Read about them here.

Next post, I'll share how I started playing these games and how they've saved me a ton of money while providing me a hobby that's a smidgen more productive than scrolling through Facebook ads and getting annoyed by people with different political views. Emphasis on "slightly." Meanwhile, mentally prepare yourself to begin playing the Credit Card Game and all its companion games. And limber up! Stretch that back- we aren't getting any younger. 

3 comments:

  1. I’m still waiting for the pop up ad that says, “Congratulations! You’re just one step away from winning a free iPhone X. Just click on the link and it’s all yours.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. stick with me and I'll show you how to lose all your neck fat using this 1 weird trick.

    ReplyDelete