Thursday, January 25, 2018

The Feasibility of Flying to France for Free

So you've read up on the Credit Card Game and the Points/Miles Game. You've read about the pitfalls and and you've decided it works for you. So where to begin? Today we'll discuss airfare. My situation will be specific to United Airlines, but in general the process is similar for every airline.

1. What's your travel goal? A trip to Europe? A week at the beach? Disney World? It's better to have something specific in mind, lest you end up with points and no reason to use them.

I want to take my three big kids to Europe this summer. My parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary and have rented a house in France for a week. It's going to be great, and then for a few days after I want to show them around Spain, or Germany, where I lived from 2002-06. My credit cards and loyalty programs are going to work for me:

1. Airfare. We are flying on United using miles, and will pay only the taxes ($25-50 each way per person). We'll also have one free trip within Europe thanks to United's intriguing Excursionist Perk.

2. Lodging. I don't know where we will stay yet, but I have sufficient point balances with IHG, Hilton, and Marriott to get free nights, thanks to credit cards and hotel bonus point promotions.

3. Free meals and comfort in transit. At every airport, we will have one or more lounge options. I'll leverage my airline status for more comfortable seats, with the potential for an upgrade to business class.

1. The United MileagePlus Explorer Card offers a 50,000-mile bonus for new applicants who use the card to spend $3,000 within three months, and an extra 5,000 miles if you add an authorized user. I got mine in summer 2016 when the bonus was a bit higher, and I've since earned more miles through shopping, dining, and even flights (the cool kids say flying is the hardest way to earn frequent flyer miles). So I've got about 110,000 miles right now, plus 95,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards Points that I've earned. I can swap Chase UR points 1-for-1 for United Miles, so that puts me at 205,000.

Let's do the math:
- Economy Saver flights are 30,000 one way to Europe; 60,000 miles roundtrip, plus $50-100 taxes.
- 60,000 x 4 (me and 3 kids) = 240,000 miles plus $200-400 in taxes.

I was still about 35,000 miles short, so my wife just got the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which has a 50,000-point bonus. She will transfer those points to me, and then our flights are covered.

There are three major airlines in the US. Each airline has a relationship and 2-4 credit cards each with one of the three major credit card issuers (major as far as credit card enthusiasts are concerned). Decide which airline works best for you, and if air travel is your goal, look at your card options and pick one. My friend wanted to go to France this spring, so he got the American Express Delta Platinum with its 70,000 mile bonus, and just booked a roundtrip flight to Paris for 55,000 miles + tax.

Below is how the card issuers and airlines match up, with the premium "flexible points" card in parentheses which enables you to exchange that credit card's points for that airline's miles. Barclaycard also issues at least one American Airlines-branded card, and the smaller airlines like Southwest, JetBlue, and Alaska also have credit card options.

Chase = United (Chase Sapphire Reserve)
American Express = Delta (American Express Platinum)
Citibank = American (Citi ThankYou Premier)

As I've written before, American Airlines (AA) is a blind spot for me. I know a little about Delta, and a lot about United. If American is your airline of choice, do your research, but in general the experience and benefits will be similar.

One great benefit of the United card is "expanded availability"- this means United saves seats for cardholders that non-cardholders cannot book. So while others might see 2 flight options from, say, Washington Dulles to Paris, I may see 4 options. Other benefits include one free checked bag, priority boarding (i.e. more overhead space when you get on the plane). That makes it well worth the $95 annual fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment